The paralysis tick (lxodes holocyclus) is the single most dangerous parasite for dogs on the eastern coast of Australia. Just one tick is capable of causing paralysis and death. Paralysis ticks usually live on native animals like bandicoots and possums. The ticks attach to dogs (and humans) after we come into contact with them in the bush, park or our own backyards. The emergency vet was so relieved that we had found the thing very early, he said that most dogs arrived having respiratory or motor damage and this always has a residual effect on their future health and well being – trust Barbara to be on the ball!

Advertisements